Welcome to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Visiting Student Website for the 2022-2023 Academic Year!
Visiting Medical Students
Welcome to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Visiting Student Website for the 2022-2023 Academic Year! Information for the upcoming academic year is not available at this time. Check back for updates.
Important dates:In order to ensure fairness to all students, Einstein does not allow visiting students to make their own arrangements with individual course directors. All scheduling is done on a space-available basis through the Registrar's Office. Please do not contact elective course leaders for approval to rotate.
COVID-19 has presented our campus community with many challenges and a good deal of uncertainty. Please check back for updates for the 22/23 academic year.
04/01/22: The 2022-2023 elective catalog will be made visible on VSAS (Opening date has changed)
04/01/22: We will begin accepting applications on VSAS
04/25/22 (Tentative): We will begin notifying students
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CALLING ABOUT VISITING STUDENT APPLICATIONS
Einstein requires visiting students to submit an application on
AAMC’s Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS)
Einstein does not accept international students. Visiting Students must be a U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident, or have an F-1 student visa issued from their home medical school. Einstein also does not accept students from non-accredited LCME medical schools for elective courses, excluding pre-approved students from one of Einstein’s established Student Exchange Programs or Affiliated School. Please see Non-VSAS Application Requirements tab for more information
- Einstein requires visiting students to follow our set rotation dates, this policy is non-negotiable
- We are unable to respond to inquiries regarding availability of electives or application status
- If a particular elective or rotation date is not posted on the VSAS catalog, it is not being offered to visiting students
- We are unable to reserve/waitlist spots
- Completed applications are registered on a first come, first serve basis.
- A maximum of 3 elective/4 weeks is allowed
- Registration MUST be finalized and confirmed by the Office of the Registrar
- Einstein does not provide housing, parking, or meal tickets for electives
- A non-refundable $100 registration processing fee must be submitted to the Registrar's office 30 days before the elective is set to begin
General Student Eligibility Requirements(your school must verify this information on VSAS):
- Must have proof of COVID Vaccination (fully vaccinated and booster if eligible) Please make sure you keep your vaccination record in a safe, accessible place and take a photo as back-up (and register for the excelsior pass). You will be required to show proof of vaccination if rotating at Jacobi Medical Center.
- Must have up-to-date training in HIPAA, Infection Control, BLS,
- Mask Fit - Halyard 46727 or 26827 or steady supply of the respirator your school requires. The fit test must be within a year.
- Must be in final year of medical school
- Must be in good academic standing
- Select rotations require students to have Passed the USMLE Step I Exam (or the COMLEX Exam)
- Completed required clinical core clerkships by the starting date of the desired elective
- Completed a pre-matriculated background check
- Malpractice insurance through their home medical school ($1 million per claim/$3 million Aggregate) **Students who purchase malpractice coverage on their own MUST do so PRIOR to acceptance
Visiting Student Evaluations:The Registrar's office has NO involvement with visiting student evaluations. It is the student’s responsibility to have an evaluation completed and returned to their home school.
Policy on Student Mistreatment (MD)Policy on Student Mistreatment
This Policy is intended to protect all students at Albert Einstein College of Medicine from mistreatment and abuse.
Student Exposure ProceduresThe purpose of Einstein's Occupational Health Services is to service Einstein employees and students with regard to occupational health needs. Anyone who sustains an occupational exposure may call Einstein OHS during hours of operation for information on postexposure procedures. If the exposure occurs after hours, the employees are to go to the nearest Emergency Room and contact the OHS during the next working day.
Students who sustain an occupational exposure should contact the Exposure Hotline at 347-380-0049. The previous Exposure Hotline (Pager) is now the back-up and if you do not reach anyone on the number listed please try the pager number 917-956-7754. Please remember that this is a pager and you must enter a call back number and then press # after the beep; Please make sure that the phone number you enter will accept incoming calls if it’s a hospital phone.
This hotline may be called 24 hours a day/7 days a week for a postexposure evaluation.